? ??????????????Green Fumes? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.3 (211 Ratings)??54 Grabs Today. 56889 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????Splat? ????? ?? ???Rating: 5.0 (2 Ratings)??52 Grabs Today. 4007 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????Summer Ra BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird Post #7

Prompt: Most of the people in Maycomb felt it should be a disgrace for a black person to win in a dispute with any with a white person, so they took Bob Ewell's side. Have you ever been in a situation where someone took a side that they obviously thought was wrong? How did this make you feel?

This has happened to me several times but not really in the way that it happens in To Kill A Mockingbird. No one is being sentenced to prison or anything. There is no court case where the jury or judge is biased. Although that has happened in projects before. What I saw was a simple case of "popular" kids making fun of a kid who really wasn't. He was a pauper among the royalty of the school. Some kids were more into it then other but there was one girl who was friends with all the kids who making fun of their unfortunate victim. She is so sweet and caring but she was helping her friends antagonize the boy. The way the mocked him was subtle but almost sickening to me. He honestly thought they cared about him. Even though she clearly knew that what she was doing wasn't right she went along with the group. It wasn't a matter of race or gender, but it was easier to go along with the group and just let things be the way they were. She was used to her group of friends being above that person in the social ladder so she went along with it because that is what always happened.

As I watched all of that situation take place I felt many things. Mad, sympathetic for the boy, the urge to go and defend him. I think situations started my prejudice towards popularity and people who are considered popular. But most of all I felt sad. I felt sad that that girl didn't stand up and say what was obviously on her mind. She just went along with all of the teasing. I felt sorry for the girl. I hope that she realizes just because something has been accepted by society does not mean that it cannot be changed. It doesn't mean people can't try and defy it. Much later she did talk to her friends about it but it was a subsequent action that was irrelevant later. I think in a way I was like Dill. I was so sad that people would treat other people in such a way. Even though it isn't very eloquent I still like what Dolphus Raymond said, "You aren't thin-hided, it just makes you sick, doesn't it?"

0 comments: